The Director of Marketing focuses on the strategies and tactics that are associated with marketing products and services including: market segmentation, product strategy, positioning, sales enablement, driving awareness, assisting buyer informational needs, competitive positioning, and creation of product and channel partner relationships.
This position has a broad scope, interacting with other departments on a daily basis. Marketing strategy in a technology company both affects and depends upon Product Development, Sales, Client services and Operations. Because of this, a key requirement of the job is strong communication/influencing skills.
In addition to the work you will perform internally, this position is also the interface between the market and the company. You will help the company understand what the market needs, and in turn help the market understand company's products and services. You will also oversee a marketing team comprised of internal and external (agency) resources.
Our Director of Marketing will oversee and guide company's marketing efforts, either together with our internal team members or in partnership with our marketing agency.
- Collaborating with sales team to develop lead generation programs
- Planning and producing “thought leadership” initiatives that may include white papers, webinars, marketing content strategies, etc.
- Developing and executing awareness and lead generation strategies for social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others
- Participating in new product launches by documenting marketing requirements and providing market insights
- Developing product pricing and packaging strategies
- Providing market insights and customer intelligence via quantitative and qualitative research methods; in general, speaking to our prospects and customers directly and maintaining knowledge of their behaviors, needs and pain points
- Defining and prioritizing markets to pursue
- Conducting ongoing competitive analysis
- Evolving company positioning strategies
- Contributing to training programs and development of sales collateral and product presentations
- Designing post-sale customer satisfaction programs including surveys, discussion forums, etc.
- Occasionally acting as the public face of the company by participating in event marketing (trade shows) and public relations engagements (public speaking)
Professional Experience and Skills
- 10 years strategic/tactical marketing experience
- Director-level leadership skills
- Strong communication/influencing skills
- Able to grasp business concepts and translate them into product marketing initiatives
- Experience managing marketing communication agency relationship and related activities
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) or cloud-based platform experience preferred
- Collaborative product development involving engineering, sales/client services, and marketing
- BS degree in marketing or related field